Sunday, February 10, 2019

Entry 3

There are six different types of journals that Tompkins (2008) discusses that children use for a range of purposes. The six different types of journals are “personal journals, dialogue journals, reading logs, learning logs, double-entry journals, simulated journals” (p. 102) While I think it is important that young children in primary grades are exposed to writing, and journal writing specifically, I think students in intermediate grade would benefit a great deal from using these different types of journal writing. I think that each of these types of journals can be beneficial to students in several different aspects of their learning. Simulated journals, as Tompkins  (2019) discussed students are able to make connections between content areas such as social studies. Students are also able to explore their creative side while still focusing on the mechanics behind writing and the content of the subject their writing about. Double-entry journals can be used to make predictions about a reading or an activity, and then, afterward reflect on what was read about or completed during the activity. Reading logs is an excellent tool for students to use to critically evaluate and reflect on what they are reading. Learning logs are a way to directly connect writing with content areas. Learning logs can be used to collect data or write down information that was learned during the content area subjects. My two favorite types of journal writing that I would love to use in my future classroom are personal journals and dialogue journals. I think it is incredibly important for students to have the chance to write in a personal journal different feelings and emotions they are feeling, and if they wanted to also write about what they were feeling and experiencing in life and have an adult respond to them in a dialogue journal, students would benefit from that type of conversation with a trusted adult.

Journal writing is something that I try and do every day; well nowadays it’s more like when I have the time. But still, journal writing is an activity that I find so incredibly therapeutic and love to engage in. I do not find journal writing to be a task, I find it to be an activity that allows me to explore my thoughts and find my creative side. Like Tompkins (2008) stated, I use journals for many reasons such as, “to record experiences, to explore ideas, to ask questions, to activate prior knowledge, to engage the imagination, to assume the role of another person, to solve problems.” (p. 102) I have a few different ways that I journal. I have one journal where I track different tasks for a month, I am not sure what type of journal it would fall under, maybe a combination of a personal journal, mixed with a log of some sorts. In this journal I decided what habits or tasks that I want to focus on, for example: eating healthy, working out, mindfulness, and emotions. I then, draw a box that represents a calendar for the month. At the end of the day, I take the time to fill out each box for that day and reflect on how that day went. At the end of the month, I am able to see how my month went with each habit or task I am trying to improve on. Another journal that I keep is a personal journal. I love reflecting on my life, and personal journal writing is a way for me to organize my thoughts, and critically reflect on multiple different aspects of my life. I often find myself using my personal journal writing when I have a lot going on in my life and need a way to channel everything that is filling my thoughts and distracting me. I also use it when I am experiencing high emotions and need to work through what I am feeling. For me, journal writing is a large part of my life.

References
Tompkins, G. (2008). Journal Writing. In Teaching writing: Balancing process and product (5th ed., pp.98-125). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall

Tompkins, G.E., & Jones, P. D. (2019). Teaching writing: Balancing process and product (7th ed.). NY, NY: Pearson.


1 comment:

  1. How would these types of journal writing work with the specific students you are teaching now? For example, if you were to teach a class full of students like your current student in clinic, what additional modeling might you need to provide? Are there certain types of journal writing activities you think would work better than others? As you continue to read each week, it would be good for you to think about a specific group of students you want to teach and to imagine what you would need to do.

    ReplyDelete